In 1862 the Jersey Yacht and Rowing Club was given the designation “Royal” by her Majesty Queen Victoria and became known as the Royal Jersey Yacht Club. In 1869 it became the Royal Channel Islands Yacht Club and was the sixth oldest yacht club to bear the designation “Royal”.
In 1940 the club resided at the Grand Hotel but the establishment was commandeered by the occupying forces. The Yacht Club’s records were saved but all that remained of the club’s belongings was the engraved brass plate which graces the entrance to the current club.
The Royal Channel Islands Yacht Club has been in its present site in St Aubin since 1946. With over 2,000 members the Club has an active sailing community and the Clubhouse is a hive of social activity, particularly in the summer months.